Thursday, July 7, 2011

Popular Breeds of Dairy Cattle in the Philippines

Popular Breeds of Dairy Cattle in the Philippines


Holstein-Fresian

Jersey

Brown Swiss

Sahiwal

Tharpakar

Red Sindhi



Some temperate breeds of dairy cattle have been raised successfully in the Philippines with proper management and nutrition. The Holstein-Fresian, Jersey, and Brown Swiss.

Tropical breeds which have done well in the country are: Sahiwal, Red Sindhi and Tharpakar. The tropical conditions, these are generally dual purpose (i.e. both meat and milk). Hence they produce less milk than the temperate breeds.

Dairy cattle require a “comfort zone” for optimum production. This explains why temperate breed cattle do not perform as well in the Philippines as in their country of origin. For temperate cattle, this zone ranges from -1 to 10˚C and 10 to 27˚C on tropical cattle. At temperatures higher than these, the thermo regulating mechanisms begin to fail causing drops in productive processes.

Crossbreds and grades are recommended for use in more areas in the Philippines due to their higher adaptation capability to local temperatures. Purebreds must be managed in higher altitudes with lower temperature and provided with their better care and plane of nutrition. However, the personal preference of producers must be taken into account.

1 comment:

  1. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from Le_Meridian Funding Service She introduced me to this honest loan company who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com, they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this company and be saved.WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete